I really had high hopes for this movie. I’m a huge Batman fan and the World’s Finest comics were always some of my favorites. I liked Man of Steel and other Zack Synder films. I even thought casting Ben Affleck was a great choice when it was first announced.
Let me start off by saying that this movie is not good. It’s not a bad movie though. The best word to describe it would be frustrating. There are elements of a really great film in here but there are always elements of a pile of dog crap.
Things I Liked-
- Batman: A lot of people had doubts about Affleck in this after his previous superhero outing in Daredevil, a movie worse than a fart trapped in his red latex suit. However, he was far and away the best thing in this movie and basically it’s only redeeming quality. I’ll go as far as saying he is the best Batman/Bruce Wayne ever on film. Keaton was the best Bruce, Bale was the best movies, and Affleck perfectly captured the brutality of Batman and the intelligence of Bruce Wayne. Also he shoots and kills a lot of people in this movie, so if that’s not your style then you might hate him.
- Alfred: I feel bad that an actor as good as Jeremy Irons had to be in this train wreck but he is and he kills it. A perfect, no nonsense Alfred. Elevated Batman’s character and gave him depth.
- Wonder Woman: Very, very, very unnecessary to have her in this movie but there she is. Gal Gadot is one of the most beautiful women alive and apparently a true badass. All of her action scenes were great and made me excited for her standalone film but she really didn’t need to be in this film. She adds nothing to the plot and is just there because they wanted something to tie into the Justice League.
Things I Didn’t Like-
- Superman: As a character Superman is kind of the worst. He was made way to powerful and comic book writers have been trying for years to find ways for this character to be interesting and less god-like . Unfortunately, he is an all powerful alien who could kill Batman just by accidentally sneezing in his direction. Henry Cavill does his best with the character and I thought he was very good in this movie but Superman himself just doesn’t do it for me.
- Lex Luthor: If you hate how Jesse Eisenberg talks in the trailer then good with this movie. I understand what they were trying to do with this character and his motivations but it just really doesn’t work. By the end of the movie he showed more promise but it was hard to sit through 2 hours of him stammering and yipping like a Chihuahua.
- The Justice League Cameos: Spoiler Alert!!! The movie shows brief clips of The Flash, Aquaman, and Cyborg. How do you see these clips? Batman sends Wonder Woman and email with video files attached. Riveting stuff…
- Zack Snyder: When the majority of the acting is good and the action scenes are epic yet the movie boring and confusing it’s easy to find the weak link. Style wise, Synder is cool and visually this movie really felt like a comic book but the story just isn’t there. Motives and a basic structured plot get thrown out the window. DC took a big gamble hitching their wagon to Synder and it would be unfortunate to watch this franchise sink solely because of him.
- The final trailer: The trailer at the top of this post literally gives away any exciting part of this movie. It is a beat by beat recreation. It’s amazing that someone green lit something filled with every key spoiler to go to screening.
Final Rating: 5.5/10