The official title for Star Wars: Episode VIII has been revealed…
Star Wars: The Last Jedi. Soak it in.
Initial thoughts are maybe this is a spinoff of that Tom Cruise movie, The Last Samurai. That movie faced a lot of controversy because of course, Tom Cruise is a white man and usually Samurais are Japanese. Purely speculating but based on the similarities in the titles I think this movie will be about Rey, a white girl, being adopted by Chewbacca and his wife (I wonder what a female Wookie would look like. Probably pretty hot and hairy) and eventually using her Jedi powers to lead a resistance of Wookies against the New Order.
More likely it’s a reference to Luke Skywalker, who had gone into hiding after his apprentice Kylo Ren turned to the Dark Side of the Force. Luke was referred to as “the last Jedi” in the previous film Star Wars: The Force Awakens. At then end of that movie, Ren discovered Luke’s whereabouts and found the infamous hero residing at the place where the first Jedi temple was rumored to be. Even though it’s just a title, it’s hard to not get excited for a new movie in the Star Wars franchise.
Quick ranking of TITLES of Star Wars movies:
7. A New Hope (technically the title was added after the movie had already premiered, so for that, it’s last
6. The Phantom Menace– They should have named it Star Wars: Mitochlorians
5. Attack of the Clones– Should have used the TV series name, The Clone Wars, and focused on the actual war instead of the junk they threw out as the movi
4. Empire Strikes Back– Best movie of the saga, kind of lackluster name
3. The Force Awakens– A new billion dollar franchise awakes as well
2. Return of the Jedi– This might make more sense as a title for Episode IV but it just stirs up positive emotions and works perfectly for the most uplifting movie of the saga
1. Revenge of the Sith– A truly dark title for a the best movie out of the prequels.
and RIP Carrie Fisher. So sad.